Friday, May 19, 2006

The Most Important Meal of the Day

I was feeling a little down yesterday, so I treated myself to breakfast at a local diner. The important detail is this: I went to breakfast to cheer myself up. When I got there I had to sit next to the only other people in the whole place — a pair of older women having a not-so-quiet conversation that flowed exactly as follows:

1. Roger's son's recent suicide.
2. Other people they knew who'd committed suicide (in the following order):
.......a. teens
.......b. adults
.......c. Hemingways
.......d. those who tried suicide but failed/backed off.
3. Linda's daughter is living with a real piece of work
.......a. he's an alcoholic
.......b. he beats her
.......c. he's generally good for nothing
.......d. they're too young anyway
.......e. Linda doesn't know what to do
4. Paul is nearing the end
.......a. they don't expect him to see the 4th of July
.......b. hopefully it will come quick and peaceful-like
5. This toast is burnt.
6. What a lovely day!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home